Friday, May 01, 2015

RuPaul's Drag Race Power Rankings (Week 9)

I was nervous at the start of the challenge.  I thought this would be another performance disaster for this crop of drag queens who have no exactly impressed when it comes to putting on theatrical productions.  The Shakesqueer episode a few weeks ago was disastrous and I was anticipating a repeat of that carnage.  Fortunately, two of the three teams put on something of a good show.  And not just a good show but a clarifying show.  I think there can't be any doubt as to who the favorites are to be on the final show after this week's episode.  On to the rankings!

7.) Miss Fame (OUT) - Rarely has there been a more deserving elimination than Miss Fame.  She was the clear weak link, if not in this episode then in general.  She had been among the worst queens for three weeks in a row prior to this episode and had shown all the wit of a brick wall.  I eagerly anticipate her appearance on a Bravo reality show of some sort, but she is clearly not cut out to be America's next drag superstar.  When her turn at lip sync finally came, Miss Fame, who has bitched about everyone else's effort, barely put up a fight.  Even a mediocre lip sync might have defeated Pearl's languid effort.  I actually thought Ru Paul might send them both home, as she has done in the past.  But this time it was only Miss Fame.

5.) (tie) Pearl & Trixie Mattel- It's hard to talk about one without talking about the other.  Pearl eliminated Trixie in a lip sync and then brought her back with a spectacular performance last week.  Now both seem the least likely to make it into the top three.  I don't think either of them have any real glaring weaknesses, but neither of them have shown a real capacity to amaze.  They may well outlast one of the other queens here because of their capacity to not screw up but i don't see anyone wanting them for the finale.  Pearl this week was completely unremarkable as Divine, one of the more iconic characters in the history of drag, and Trixie seemed to be going through the motions, adding nothing to her scene with Ginger.  Both were fine enough to escape elimination but it's not going to be the type of performance that will lead either of them into the finals.

4.) Violet Chachki- I was going to give the bottom remaining queens a three-way tie for fourth place, as they all seem to be of equal quality and clearly below the top three queens.  But for you readers I pushed myself.  I asked "Who is most likely to break into the top 3 if an upset were to happen?" I think the answer is Violet.  Trixie is completely blocked out by Ginger Minj as a comedy queen, and I can't see Ru choosing Pearl over any of the top three queens.  Violet, however, has the capacity to amaze and shock under the right circumstances.  If I were the top three queens I would definitely prefer to see either Pearl or Trixie in the final four rather than Violet.  You can sort of expect what's coming from Pearl and Trixie, but Violet has had potential, she has had some of the better moments on the show so far: the stunning plaid dress in Week 1...the vanishingly tiny corset.  She has the capacity to upset.

3.) Kennedy Davenport- Similarly, for the top three, I wondered "Who among the top 3 is most likely to screw up?" I think it's Kennedy. She make me nervous when she forgets her lines at some points, and makes ...interesting clothing choices, like her rooster suit for the "death dress" runway challenge.  Overall Kennedy has been very solid throughout and is clearly better than at least three of the remaining queens, but she really inches close to a big mistake at times.

2.) Katya- I actually though Katya outperformed Ginger in this challenge, and outperformed Pearl last week, so she's very hot, but it strikes me that she's probably a slight underdog to win the whole thing.  Ginger is such a big personality and Katya is subtle.  I think big plays better in a competition like this.  So while Katya is my personal favorite, i think we have to slot her slightly behind Ginger.

1.) Ginger Minj- Yeah, gut feeling, I think any watcher of Drag Race has to be thinking that Ginger is the favorite to take the crown.  Although I think the race is close, it's hard to imagine Ru choosing one of the other queens over Ginger. She's had the biggest personality and the best story of the competitors.  If she continues turning in strong performances she will remain THE FAVORITE.

No comments: